EU to help Ukraine with gas – European Commission President
According to Ursula von der Leyen, the option of increasing reverse gas flows from Slovakia is being considered.On October 4, 2021, Ukraine suspended the injection of natural gas into its underground storage facilities / Illustration REUTERS
The European Union, together with Ukrainian experts, is considering the possibilities for sufficient supply of gas to Ukraine and the use of Ukrainian gas storage facilities for the common good.
As a UNIAN correspondent reports, this was announced by the President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen at a press conference following the 23rd Ukraine-EU summit in Kiev.
“The European Commission, together with Ukrainian experts, is now studying various scenarios on how to ensure sufficient supplies (of gas – UNIAN) for Ukraine,” she said.
According to the President of the European Commission, an option is also being worked out in order to increase the possibilities of gas supplies from the EU member states, including the possibility of reverse gas flows from Slovakia.
“We are also exploring the possibilities of joint gas storage. You have gas storage facilities, therefore we will study gas storage possibilities to use the storage facilities for the common good,” said von der Leyen.
Preparing for the heating season:
- On October 1, Gazprom stopped the transportation of gas through Ukraine to Hungary. This was a consequence of the signing between the parties of a new long-term contract for the supply of gas bypassing Ukraine and provokes an increase in gas prices in Europe.
- On October 4, 2021, Ukraine suspended the injection of natural gas into its underground storage facilities, pumping 18.875 billion cubic meters. m of gas.
- The Ministry of Energy plans to accumulate 19-20 billion cubic meters of gas in underground gas storage facilities by the heating season 2021-2022.
- Earlier, Naftogaz Ukrainy stated that gas reserves in underground storage facilities in the amount of 19 billion cubic meters, which they plan to accumulate before the beginning of the winter period, will be enough for a stable passage of the heating season, even with the probable additional needs of thermal power plants that are faced with the problem of insufficient coal reserves in warehouses.
- The heating season in Ukraine usually begins in the second half of October.
- By early October 2020, gas reserves in underground storage facilities amounted to 27.9 billion cubic meters.
- On October 6, the selling price of gas in Europe reached almost 2 thousand dollars per thousand cubic meters, which is an absolute record.
- According to the Ukrainian Energy Exchange, the weighted average cost of gas at European hubs to the Ukrainian border reached UAH 40 per cubic meter.
- As of October 11, natural gas reserves in Ukrainian underground storage facilities (UGS) amounted to 18.79 billion cubic meters, which is almost 32% less than last year. At the same time, Ukraine has already started withdrawing gas from storage facilities in the amount of 16.4 million cubic meters per day.
- (c)UNIAN 2021