Ukraine has offered to accept part of the refugees from Afghanistan – the US State Department
On August 15, the Taliban announced the seizure of the entire territory of Afghanistan, including the capital, Kabul.It is a question of resettlement of citizens from “risk groups” / photo REUTERS
Washington thanked foreign governments for agreeing to receive citizens evacuated from Afghanistan , including Ukraine.
This was announced at a briefing by US State Department spokesman Ned Price.
Together with Ukraine, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Qatar, Tajikistan, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, Great Britain, Uzbekistan, Albania, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Chile, Kosovo, and Northern Makeo will soon become a transit zone for refugees. , Poland, Rwanda, etc.
It is about the relocation of citizens from “risk groups” – Afghans who support the United States.
“We are deeply grateful for their support and are proud to work with them in our joint support of the Afghan people. We are very pleased that other countries are also considering providing additional support. And that is what we will continue to focus on.” Price emphasized.
The Taliban seized power in Afghanistan
- On August 15, the Taliban announced the capture of the entire territory of Afghanistan , including the capital – Kabul.
- Afghan Interior Minister Abdul Satar Mirzakwal said in a video message that the capital would be handed over to the Taliban peacefully .
- It has also become known that Taliban representatives will discuss preparations for a change of government at the presidential palace in Kabul. Also on August 15, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani resigned and flew to Tajikistan. On August 18, it became known that Ghana and his family are in the United Arab Emirates.
- On August 19, the Taliban proclaimed a new state in its territory, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.
- Taliban officials have announced a general amnesty in the country and said they intend to maintain peaceful relations with all countries. They also promised that women would be given rights, but “within the framework of Islam.” However, the Taliban’s rise to power provoked panic and the flight of people from the country. Many remember the brutal rule of the Taliban in the 1990s, when society was subject to an extremely harsh Sharia regime.
- Ukraine evacuated 79 citizens from Afghanistan from six countries – Ukraine, Afghanistan, Belarus, the Netherlands, Croatia and Tajikistan.
- As of the evening of August 17, 153 Ukrainian citizens of Ukrainian descent wanted to leave Afghanistan. On August 18, a plane to evacuate Ukrainians from Afghanistan was unable to land in Kabul . There is currently no safe corridor for access to Kabul Airport, where the situation remains partially out of control.
- (C)UNIAN 2021