Up to 50 Ukrainians remain in Afghanistan – Foreign Ministry
Almost all Ukrainians have been contacted and it is being clarified which of them wants to be evacuated.The Ministry of Foreign Affairs keeps the situation under special control / photo – REUTERS
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine states that there are still up to 50 Ukrainians left in Afghanistan.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleg Nikolenko said this in a comment to an UNIAN correspondent.
“According to the Foreign Ministry, up to 50 Ukrainians continue to be in Afghanistan. Almost all of them are in contact, diplomats are clarifying which of them wants to be evacuated. At the same time, possible ways of safe evacuation are being worked out, including the use of foreign partners.” – Nikolenko reported.
The diplomat noted that the Foreign Ministry is keeping the situation under special control.
The situation in Afghanistan – UNIAN reference
- On August 15, the Taliban announced the capture of the entire territory of Afghanistan , they are attacking Kabul.
- Afghan Interior Minister Abdul Satar Mirzakwal said in a video message that the capital would be handed over to the Taliban peacefully.
- It also became known that the Taliban representatives in the presidential palace in Kabul will discuss preparations for a change of government .
- Also on August 15, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani resigned and flew to Tajikistan.
- Ukraine evacuated 79 citizens from Afghanistan from six countries – Ukraine, Afghanistan, Belarus, the Netherlands, Croatia and Tajikistan.
As UNIAN reported, the media showed a video of people falling from a plane in Afghanistan. They clung to the landing gear and tied themselves to the plane, trying to leave the country.