“My contract is over”: Shevchenko said goodbye to the national team of Ukraine
The head coach of the national team of Ukraine said that he had finished working with the team, UAF has not yet confirmed the departure of the coach.Andriy Shevchenko / photo by REUTERS
The head coach of the national team of Ukraine Andriy Shevchenko published a statement in which he announced that his contract with UAF has come to an end.
Shevchenko announced this on Instagram.
“Today my contract with the Ukrainian Football Association expired, I spent five years with the main team of the country. It was hard work that proved that we are able to play modern football,” Shevchenko wrote.
“I am grateful to the president and executive committee of UAF for the opportunity to work with the national team of Ukraine, I am grateful to every player, everyone who helped and was involved in the team. Many thanks to all fans for support and criticism. Together we managed to show that our football can be competitive. effective and interesting. With faith in Ukraine, “Shevchenko added.
UAF has not yet officially announced the departure of the coach.
Earlier it was reported that the coach’s contract was calculated until the end of 2022.
It will be recalled that at Euro 2020 Shevchenko led the Ukrainian national team to the quarterfinals.
Andriy Shevchenko: career in the national team of Ukraine
- Andriy Shevchenko led the national team of Ukraine in 2016. Prior to that, he worked as an assistant at the headquarters of Mikhail Fomenko.
- In the selection for the 2018 World Cup under the leadership of Shevchenko, the national team of Ukraine took third place in the qualifying group, failing to qualify for the tournament.
- After that, Shevchenko managed to bring the national team of Ukraine to Euro 2020, taking first place in the qualifying group with Portugal.
- In addition, the national team of Ukraine in 2018 successfully performed in the League of Nations, rising in class from League B to League B. In 2020 in League A of the League of Nations, the Ukrainian team could not keep a residence permit only because of a technical defeat for the match with Switzerland.
- At Euro 2020, the national team of Ukraine took third place in the group with the Netherlands, Austria and Northern Macedonia, then in extra time went to the playoffs Sweden (2: 1), and in the quarterfinals lost to England (0: 4). Reaching the quarterfinals was the best result for the “yellow-blues” at the European Championships.
- Earlier it was repeatedly reported that after working with the national team of Ukraine Shevchenko can lead “Milan”. The coach himself has previously stated that he would like to return to the Italian club as a coach.
- (C)UNIAN 2021