Zelensky was invited to visit the White House: he answered
The White House stressed that the visit of the head of the Ukrainian state will confirm the unshakable support of Ukraine from the United States. Zelenskiy replied that he expects a meaningful meeting.Joe Biden and Vladimir Zelensky will meet on August 30 / UNIAN collage
President Volodymyr Zelenskiy was invited to visit the United States on August 30.
This is stated in a message on the White House website .
“President Biden is looking forward to welcoming Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to the White House on August 30, 2021,” the statement said.
The White House stressed that the visit of the head of the Ukrainian state will confirm the United States’ unshakable support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine against the backdrop of Russia’s continuing aggression in the Donbas and Crimea.
The meeting of the presidents also speaks of close cooperation between the two states in the field of energy security and Washington’s support for Zelensky’s efforts to fight corruption and implement reforms based on democratic values.
Zelensky’s reaction to Biden’s invitation
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, in response to the invitation from the White House, said that he expects a meaningful and fruitful meeting with Biden.
“We will continue to discuss important issues of strategic partnership between Ukraine and the United States – peace in Donbass, the return of Crimea, the security of Ukraine, energy as a challenge to security, economic development and support for reforms,” Zelensky wrote on his Twitter page .
Commentary from the Office of the President
In turn, the President’s Office said that the White House’s proposal to hold Zelensky’s visit on August 30 is an important step towards the implementation of the agreements reached during the June telephone conversation between the leaders of Ukraine and the United States.
“The agenda of the talks is, first of all, security issues: counteraction to the prolonged aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine, the deterioration of the situation in the Black Sea region and Donbass, the de-occupation of Crimea, the strengthening of the energy security of our state and Europe as a whole, military and military-defense cooperation between Ukraine and The United States will continue to discuss the Nord Stream 2 project as a security challenge for our country and the region, “Bankova said.
Zelensky added that they expect from the visit to reach agreements on deepening strategic partnership between Ukraine and the United States in all priority areas and agree on a package of joint projects and initiatives in the areas of security and defense, trade, investment, energy, climate, agriculture, infrastructure and digital transformation …
Meeting of Zelensky and Biden: what is known
- On June 7, a telephone conversation took place between Zelensky and Biden. During the conversation, Biden invited Zelenskiy to visit the United States this summer.
- On July 12, Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba clarified that Zelenskiy will visit Washington for a meeting with Biden in late July.
- At the upcoming meeting, Zelensky plans to raise the issue of granting Ukraine a MAP to NATO, supporting the economy and the situation in Donbass.
- Subsequently, the media reported that Washington was proposing to postpone the meeting of American President Joe Biden and Ukrainian head Volodymyr Zelensky to August instead of July.
- Recently, US Charge d’Affaires in Ukraine George Kent said that Zelensky and Biden will meet this summer, but the exact date is still unknown. “The only question now is finding time in President Biden’s schedule,” Kent said.
Read the latest news from Ukraine and the world on the UNIAN channel in Telegram
Author: Alexander Topchiy