Construction of Nord Stream-2 is planned to be completed by the end of the summer
The Nord Stream-2 operator wants to put the pipeline into operation this year.Construction of the pipeline has already been completed by 98% / photo REUTERS
Construction of Russia’s Nord Stream-2 gas pipeline is expected to be completed by the end of this summer.
“We expect the construction work to be completed by the end of August,” Warnig said.
He added that the construction of the pipeline has already been completed by 98%, and the goal is to put it into operation this year.
The company also added that they are studying the possibilities of the pipeline to transport hydrogen.
“It is quite possible that no later than 10 years later we will be able to add hydrogen to one or both threads and thus transport it,” – said in a statement the head of the company.
Nord Stream 2: What is known
- The Nord Stream 2 project envisages the construction and operation of two branches of a gas pipeline with a total capacity of 55 billion cubic meters of gas per year from the coast of Russia through the Baltic Sea to Germany. The founder of Nord Stream 2 AG is Russia’s Gazprom. The project is funded by European companies – French Engie, Austrian OMV, British-Dutch Shell, German Uniper and Wintershall.
- The Nord Stream-2 gas pipeline is already 95% built. The new pipeline bypassing Ukraine was planned to be completed by the end of 2019, along with the existing Nord Stream-1.
- Construction of the pipeline was suspended due to US sanctions against contractors, but resumed in February 2021. Nord Stream 2 AG decided to complete it on its own.
- Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Oleksiy Danilov stated that Ukrainian diplomats are doing everything possible to stop the launch of Nord Stream-2. According to him, it is difficult to hinder this project, as there are powerful players in Europe who are interested in cooperating with Russia.
- Zelensky is convinced that after the launch of Nord Stream 2, Russia will make every effort not to extend the current contract for gas transit through Ukraine.
Read the latest news of Ukraine and the world on the UNIAN channel in Telegram