ukraine: Kravchuk elaborates on stages of Donbas reintegration
23:54, 20.10.20 – UNIAN
The issue of the reintegration of the temporarily occupied territories is complex, the official believes.
Head of the Ukrainian delegation to the Trilateral Contact Group on Donbas settlement Leonid Kravchuk has said the Ukrainian government must adopt a package of laws on reintegration of Russia-occupied territories in eastern Ukraine to achieve peace in Donbas.
The official made the comment in an interview with a Ukrainian TV channel, as reported by the Ukrainian weekly Novoye Vremya on October 20.
According to Kravchuk, the issue of the reintegration of Donbas is complex and it should include the following stages:
- End of the war;
- Holding elections in the non-government controlled territories;
- Formation of executive agencies in the uncontrolled areas;
- Adoption of a package of economic laws (including those that create conditions for investment and doing business).
“This is a huge array of documents, which includes the period of the war, the post-war period, and the stage of inclusion of uncontrolled territories in Ukraine’s state power system,” he summed up.
Reintegration of Donbas in Zelensky’s poll
- As part of a nationwide poll proposed by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to be held on October 25, citizens would be asked their opinion on the idea of creating a free economic zone in Donbas.
- The President’s Office says the creation of a free economic zone in the government-controlled part of Donbas could have a significantly effect on the pace of reintegration of the temporarily occupied certain districts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions.