One Dead in Fire at St. Petersburg Hospital

One person has died in a fire at a hospital in Russia’s second city St. Petersburg, emergencies services and hospital staff said Wednesday.

Bedsheets caught on fire in one of the buildings of the Botkin hospital around 6:00 a.m., first responders told the state-run TASS news agency. 

“The patient was alone in the room. There were no open flames, but he was poisoned by the smoke,” local emergencies services spokesman Andrei Litovko told AFP.

Efforts to resuscitate the man were unsuccessful, he said, adding that the patient was not being treated for the coronavirus.

News agencies quoted sources as saying the patient had been smoking in bed.

Several people died last month in fires at hospitals in Moscow and St. Petersburg, with faulty ventilators believed to have sparked the blazes, though an investigation is ongoing.

The Botkin hospital for infectious diseases is Saint Petersburg’s main coronavirus treatment center and one of the largest infection facilities in the country.

(c) The Moscow Times

3 comments

  • There is a device that’s been around for 150 years, it’s called an automatic sprinkler system. Very useful for putting out fires in buildings, but seems Russian technology has not advanced to that stage yet.

    Liked by 3 people

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.