The Russian Defense Ministry said that Moscow could not guarantee the safety of Turkish planes flying in northwestern Syria after Damascus said it was closing the airspace over the Idlib region, Interfax reported Sunday.
The ministry’s warning came after Turkey shot down two Syrian warplanes over Idlib on Sunday and struck a military airport well beyond its frontlines, a sharp increase of its military operations following the deaths of dozens of Turkish soldiers last week. Syria’s army has declared the airspace over northwest Syria closed to planes and drones, pledging to down any aircraft that violates it, state media said Sunday.
“In these conditions, the leadership of Russia’s military contingent [in Syria] cannot guarantee the safety of Turkish flights in Syrian skies,” Interfax cited Counter Admiral Oleg Zhuravlev as saying.
Ankara has ramped up its attacks, including drone strikes, against the Russian-backed Syrian forces since Thursday, when 33 Turkish soldiers were killed in an airstrike by Damascus.
Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said in the last four days Turkish forces destroyed eight helicopters, 103 tanks, 72 howitzers, rocket launchers, a drone and six air-defense systems. He dubbed Turkey’s operation, its fourth incursion in Syria in four years, “Operation Spring Shield.”
In response, Syria’s army said it shot down three Turkish drones and warned it would take down any aircraft breaching the airspace over the northwest, which has been controlled for years by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s main ally Russia.
Despite the warning, Turkish warplanes downed two Syrian warplanes, while Turkey’s state-owned Anadolu agency said the Turkish military had targeted and rendered unusable Nayrab airport, west of Aleppo city.
Turkey-backed opposition commanders also said Kuweires airport, east of Nayrab, had been bombed since midnight. Both airports are well inside Syrian government-controlled territory, marking a significant expansion of Ankara’s targets.
The fighting has risked drawing Russia and Turkey, who cooperated for years to contain the fighting despite backing rival sides in Syria’s nine-year war, into direct conflict.
“We have neither the intention nor the notion to face Russia. Our only intention there is for the [Syrian] regime to end the massacre and thereby prevent … radicalization and migration,” Turkey’s Akar said.
He said that 2,212 members of the Syrian forces had been “neutralized,” a term used to designate killed, wounded or captured. The Syrian Observatory, a Britain-based war monitor, said 74 Syrian government troops and pro-Damascus fighters had been killed since Feb. 27.
Fifty-five Turkish troops were killed in Idlib in February.
It has already deployed thousands of troops and military vehicles in northwest Syria’s Idlib province in the last month to stem advances by Syrian government forces, which have displaced 1 million people close to Turkey’s southern border.
Already hosting 3.6 million Syrian refugees, Ankara is determined to prevent any further influx from Syria. It has also let migrants cross its borders into the European Union, in an apparent effort to press for EU support in tackling the Syria crisis.
(c) The Moscow Times
I should think the Turkish planes are very safe in Syria. None of the Russian junk has managed to hit anything yet. In fact the safety of the Russian missile defenses should be more of a concern to Russia. The whole world is seeing that Russian equipment is garbage, which is not a great advertisement for sales.
Putinazi scum only excel at murdering civilians on civil airliners.